Went to watch Cats last Friday with Mum, Mr Milo and WL.
What I enjoyed about the musical is the different genres of music. However, I felt that Act 1 was rather draggy. The second half had much better pacing, and was thus I found it more enjoyable. My favourite numbers were "Rum Tum Tugger" and "Mr Mistoffelees". I also liked that during the curtain call, there was nice music that we could clap along to. Usually, it is difficult to sustain the applause and being able to clap along to the rhythm helps.
The evening was spoilt, however, by annoying theatre-goers and one usher. Firstly, there were several latecomers, including some in our row. Instead of waiting for the intermission or an appropriate pause, the ushers let the latecomers, including a couple in our row, into the auditorium in the MIDDLE of a number. After making their way in, some of the latecomers a few rows in front then discovered that their seats were not actually in that row, and made their way out again. A minute later, the USHER squeezed her way down our row, and then squeezed her way out again. A few minutes later, the aforementioned latecomers then squeezed past us to their seats. That makes it 4 TIMES!!!! people squeezed past us to get to their/check seats. Annoying!
And, when Grizabella started singing 'Memory', some idiot woman seated in the row behind us, to the left, SANG ALONG!!!!! True, it was under her breath, but it was a quiet song (no loud band accompaniment), in an absolutely silent auditorium, and thus audible and distracting. Dammit people, the theatre is NOT A KARAOKE LOUNGE! Added to that, was some young man in the row in front of me, to my right, rustling. I have no clue what he was doing, I thought he might have been eating a sweet of something, but the rustling went on for the entire song.
GRRRR!
What I enjoyed about the musical is the different genres of music. However, I felt that Act 1 was rather draggy. The second half had much better pacing, and was thus I found it more enjoyable. My favourite numbers were "Rum Tum Tugger" and "Mr Mistoffelees". I also liked that during the curtain call, there was nice music that we could clap along to. Usually, it is difficult to sustain the applause and being able to clap along to the rhythm helps.
The evening was spoilt, however, by annoying theatre-goers and one usher. Firstly, there were several latecomers, including some in our row. Instead of waiting for the intermission or an appropriate pause, the ushers let the latecomers, including a couple in our row, into the auditorium in the MIDDLE of a number. After making their way in, some of the latecomers a few rows in front then discovered that their seats were not actually in that row, and made their way out again. A minute later, the USHER squeezed her way down our row, and then squeezed her way out again. A few minutes later, the aforementioned latecomers then squeezed past us to their seats. That makes it 4 TIMES!!!! people squeezed past us to get to their/check seats. Annoying!
And, when Grizabella started singing 'Memory', some idiot woman seated in the row behind us, to the left, SANG ALONG!!!!! True, it was under her breath, but it was a quiet song (no loud band accompaniment), in an absolutely silent auditorium, and thus audible and distracting. Dammit people, the theatre is NOT A KARAOKE LOUNGE! Added to that, was some young man in the row in front of me, to my right, rustling. I have no clue what he was doing, I thought he might have been eating a sweet of something, but the rustling went on for the entire song.
GRRRR!
Comments
Post a Comment